Re: [help-texinfo] installation of images with info files

From: Per Bothner
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] installation of images with info files
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2016 10:35:39 -0800

From: Per Bothner <address@hidden>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2016 07:52:44 -0800

I don't think we settled on "best practices" for the image naming.

(1) Should figure BAR.png in manual FOO be installed as:
(a) FOO-figures/BAR.png or:
(b) FOO-BAR.png

Another option is a figures directory shared among many packages:

(c) figures/FOO-BAR.png

(Using plain BAR.png in the same directory that may have
multiple info files risks clashing with other manuals.)

I think it should use BAR.png.  The problem with file-name clashes is
not unique to images, it exists with the Info files as well.  It's for
the package maintainers to solve, I see no need for the Texinfo
package to second-guess its users.

Which "package maintainers"?

Say I maintain package FOO1 (say kawa), and someone else maintains
package FOO2 (say emacs), and have (different) file named screenshot-1.png.
What happens when FOO1.info and FOO2.info and installed in the same
info installation directory?  Bad things?  Who did something wrong?
Nobody.  How do we avoid this problem?  By using a naming convention.

An alternative would be to use separate directories.  That would perhaps
make most sense for html:

   FOO1/
      index.html
      Introduction-to-Foo1.html
      ToC.html
      screenshot1.png
      screenshot2.png
   FOO2/
      index.html
      Introduction-to-Foo2.html
      ToC.html
      screenshot1.png
      screenshot12.png

or:

   FOO1/
      index.html
      Introduction-to-Foo1.html
      ToC.html
      figures/
         screenshot1.png
         screenshot2.png
etc

However, that is not the way info files are (currently) installed -
they're all put in the same directory.

I've started writing up a roadmap / design document for replacing texinfo's
info-centric model with an html-centric mode for documentation.
I'm ok with deferring the issue until then.
--
        --Per Bothner
address@hidden   http://per.bothner.com/