[help-texinfo] Special characters in texinfo's PO files

From: Rafael Fontenelle
Subject: [help-texinfo] Special characters in texinfo's PO files
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2017 20:45:37 -0300

Hello!

Looking at the Gettext message catalogs (PO files) for "texinfo" and "texinfo_document" translation domain, I notice that from some languages they where translated using texinfo's syntax for special characters, instead of using UTF-8. So, for example, Brazilian Portuguese translation of "texinfo_document" has the string "Function" as "Fun@,address@hidden", instead of "Função" (see here).

Normally, a PO file accepts UTF-8 and other charsets. I just don't know how it works for specifically texinfo. If UTF-8 is preferable, then I'll contact the translator about it.

My question: What is the correct for special characters in texinfo's PO files - to use texinfo's syntax, or to use UTF-8 (or whatever charset)?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Rafael Fontenelle