[help-texinfo] @xref best practices for i18n/l10n

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: [help-texinfo] @xref best practices for i18n/l10n
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2017 06:48:18 +0900

I'm working on a manual written in texinfo and I found a string similar to this:

@xref{node name} and following.

Once compiled, the document becomes ‘See "node name" and following’.

When translating to a language that puts the verb at the end, like Japanese
(and I guess German and others would have the same issue) the final document
must be rendered as:

‘"node name" and following See‘

My understanding of @xref is that it is not possible, so we should avoid to put
stuff after "node name".

So, is there a trick that allows for that? Or are there best practices for
Texinfo that specifically argue against using such syntax with xref?

Also, does makeinfo use "translation tables" to create the proper localized
string for such devices as xref?

Thank you in advance.

Jean-Christophe