Re: [help-texinfo] <title> in multi-node HTML

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] <title> in multi-node HTML
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2018 22:20:39 +0100

Hi Gavin!

Sorry for the delays…

> Le 12 nov. 2018 à 21:28, Gavin Smith <address@hidden> a écrit :
>
> On Sun, Nov 11, 2018 at 06:41:02PM +0100, Akim Demaille wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> I was searching about conflicts in Bison on the web, and saw this:
>>

>> « Understanding » is quite not a nice title, so I clicked to check, and got
>> this:
>>

> Where did you see « Understanding »?

I saw it on the Google’s page, as was represented in the screen capture I sent.
 Right now, on « bison conflicts », I get:

Understanding (Bison 3.2.1) - GNU.org
www.gnu.org/s/bison/manual/html_node/Understanding.html
As documented elsewhere (see The Bison Parser Algorithm) Bison parsers are ...
useless: STR; ^^^^^^^ calc.y: warning: 7 shift/reduce conflicts
[-Wconflicts-sr].

>> Is there a means to use the section name rather that the node name in the
>> generated HTML?  It???s quite common to have a very short node name, but a
>> fully blown section name, so the latter seems more appropriate to me.
>>
>> Even in Texinfo???s own documentation, you have for instance the title « One
>> argument », which hardly makes sense alone:
>>
>> https://www.gnu.org/software/texinfo/manual/texinfo/html_node/One-Argument.html
>>
>> but the page is
>>
>> 6.4.1 @xref with One Argument
>
> The URL of the page has to follow the node name so that other pages can
> link to it.

Sorry for not being clear: I was not referring in any way to the URL, I’m
talking about the <title></title> of the page.

> I see on
> https://www.gnu.org/software/texinfo/manual/texinfo/html_node/_0040xref.html#g_t_0040xref
> the link to the page is labelled "One argument" - is that the kind of
> thing you think could change?
>
> There is the "@xrefautomaticsectiontitle on" option, which may give some
> of what you are looking for.

That’s a nice feature I was unaware of, thanks!  But that’s not my point.  I’m
claiming that the name of the section would be a better <title> than the node
name.

Cheers!