Re: Problem with heading appearing on new chapter page

From: Gavin Smith
Subject: Re: Problem with heading appearing on new chapter page
Date: Tue, 12 May 2020 21:11:58 +0100

On Tue, May 12, 2020 at 09:12:51PM +0200, Sebastian Urban wrote:
> Alright, it seems that it affects only custom settings, i.e. while it
> happens with

> @end titlepage
>
> @evenheading @thispage @| @|
> @oddheading @| @| @thispage
>
> @summarycontents
> @contents
>
> @headings double
>
> it doesn't happen with only "@headings double" after title page.

I managed to get the same result (by editing the *.toc file to end on an
odd page).  Note that the headings are correct for the page numbers as
printed - the only problem is the mismatch between the page numbers in
the file and the printed page numbers in that when one is odd, the other
is even, and vice versa.  If somebody was actually printing the manual
on paper, they would have to use some other tool to insert a blank page
into the document after the table of contents and before the page
numbered "1".

As you said, this blank page is inserted by texinfo.tex under some
conditions already.  I expect there is some work that could be done in
this area.

> Therefore, I guess I'll have to wait for patch that will "fix"
> @thistitle in ToC.  Meanwhile, when using custom settings, I'll keep
> avoiding ending ToC on odd-numbered pages.

That sounds hard to do!