Re: Loss of search facility in info in newer releases of Texinfo

From: Gavin Smith
Subject: Re: Loss of search facility in info in newer releases of Texinfo
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2021 07:28:14 +0100

On Sun, Oct 10, 2021 at 02:59:39PM +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> Thanks, I didn't know about these!  But that would still leave the
> various forms of double quotes, the EM-DASH, and a few other things
> in the Unicode style that I don't like.
>
> What I want is an option which will output all texi2any's punctuation
> characters in ASCII, whilst leaving the UTF-8 characters in the .texi
> source untouched.

Can you be more specific about where the output occurs?  I believe
@dfn outputs double quotes while the em dash comes from "---", but what
do you mean by a "few other things"?

The options Patrice mentioned in his email fulfil your initial request
but now you're asking for something else.

If you remove "@documentencoding UTF-8" from a file, the file is still
assumed to be in UTF-8, but less Unicode is used in the output where it
is not necessary.  Does that help?