Re: makeinfo warnings and errors list

From: Patrice Dumas
Subject: Re: makeinfo warnings and errors list
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 15:33:25 +0200

On Thu, Apr 21, 2022 at 10:48:50AM +0200, Yannick Sirjean wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> I'm newbie in texinfo system.
> I don't know where to find the warnings and errors list (and the
> description) for the makeinfo program. It's better to know them to
> understand "errors" in the "code".

There is no such description to my knowledge.  The error messages
are in po/texinfo.pot and could be filtered for instance as being in
tp/Texinfo/*.pm tp/Texinfo/*/*.pm.  However, not all the error messages
are useful as is, for example there are messages like "multiple @%s"
or "bad or empty @%s formal argument: %s".

My opinion is that the messages should be auto-documented and should not
need additional explanation, and that a more precise understanding of
the error should only require reading the Texinfo manual to understand
better what's going on.  There is in particular a section in appendix,
"@-Command Syntax" in the manual.

--
Pat