hurd-devel

Re: partition store

From: Neal H Walfield
Subject: Re: partition store
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2001 01:55:25 +0200

> You probably don't need a configure --with option.  Just use AC_CHECK_LIB
> and use it if it's there (or whatever configure checks you need to verify
> the libparted installed works with your code).

Ok.

> How much cruft from libparted winds up getting linked in when you
> statically link against libstore with that new module?
> Hopefully not too much.

Most of it.  However, it has the potential to be quite small and I am
currently working with the maintainer to redesign it so that the
interobject dependencies are decreased.

> For dynamic linking, you don't really need to do anything special at all.
> You link libstore against libparted.so, and that is that.

My experience has been that I need to expicitly link against libparted
and all libraries that libparted depends on (currently, only one).
Which is to say, just linking against libstore will not bring in the
libraries that libstore depends on.  Am I doing something wrong?

> For static linking, I am inclined to suggest just including the parted
> modules directly in libstore.a.  The easiest way to do this would be
> "ld -r -o parted.o part.o -lparted" and then include parted.o instead of
> part.o in libstore.a.

Neat trick.

> Does libparted cross-compile easily so I can build and install it to
> compile my hurd against?

Not yet.  I think this is just a matter of setting the right defaults.