hurd-devel

Re: time for libio?

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: time for libio?
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 01:38:25 +0100

On Thu, Nov 29, 2001 at 07:25:25PM -0500, Roland McGrath wrote:
> Can we have an autobuilder that collects and rebuilds all the existing
> packages based on the new libc environment, and doesn't upload any of them
> to debian until they are all built?  Then maybe use a temporary public
> location that people can do giant apt-get dist-upgrade's from if they are
> brave enough to test the new world.  If that all goes well, we just upload
> them en masse.

This should be doable without too much trouble.  The main issue is to get
exisiting versions rebuild with a new version number (.0.1 appended or so,
I'd have to check the current policy on architecture binary-only
recompiles).  This can be fully automated.  I hope Jeff can work out the
technical details with buildd for that.

> If this is the plan, the only kind of binary compatibility I am concerned
> about is from flag day to the future.  I still think my plan of the new
> libc.so.0.3 ABI as used by single-threaded programs being supported by a
> future libc.so.0.3 that works with a future pthreads library could be
> viable.

Never heard you mentioning it.  Sounds interesting but also challenging.
If one flag day works, another would work equally well. So:

> So perhaps we are just in for another big flag
> day in the future too.

Which would be acceptable by me.

Thanks,
Marcus