hurd-devel

Re: switching to SVN ?

From: Thomas Schwinge
Subject: Re: switching to SVN ?
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2007 22:11:53 +0200

Hello!

Instead of staying with 80ies centralized systems, why not switch to
something more modern?

I have been using darcs for some time, but it is (or at least was at that
time) not really useable for bigger software projects.

A few weeks ago I decided to use and then actually started actively using
git as the backend for the now-really-soon-to-be-released new Hurd wiki.
I like it.  I even find it convenient to use.  After having only been
using it lightly for a few weeks.  Don't let what many people are saying
(about its user interface) scare you away; we're not so simple-minded
that we wouldn't be able to operate and use it.

I know that the GNU coreutils and gnulib maintainers (mainly Jim
Meyering) switched from cvs to git already some months ago and they're
very happy with having done this switch.  Jim wrote a short article about
it: <http://meyering.net/dVCS/>.

And even if your concern is about the user interface (and -- as I know
you, Marcus -- you don't really care about the backend, but much more
about the user interface you have to work with, right :-)?) and you want
to stay with the cvs (or Subversion) user interface: git provides a
mechanism to publish the repositories over the cvs protocol (two-way
synchronization).  I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to have such a
thing for the svn protocol as well; may very well be that already exists,
too.

I don't have the time at the moment (and not too much experience with
Subversion) to sketch out what I think the benefits are that using it
would bring, but nevertheless: I'd vote for git.

Regards,
 Thomas