hurd-devel

Re: Moving to git

From: Thomas Schwinge
Subject: Re: Moving to git
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 12:51:39 +0100

Hello!

On Fri, Jan 09, 2009 at 02:05:52PM -0800, Roland McGrath wrote:
> Olaf said some of the things I was thinking.

When replying there, I hope to have addressed your concerns as well.

> In short, I think this plan is too clever by half.

Thanks ;-).  Indeed I spent some time on this issue, before I sent out my
email.

> Repository conversion is repository conversion.

Agreed.

> It's not an opportunity to rejigger the history.

Well.  If we nevertheless have a service interruption (not that it'd
matter...), why not -- again: *before* doing the actual conversion -- fix
up some things as well?  And, in fact, I had already suggested this
split-up like two years ago.

> It's a fundamental failure of what the repository is
> there for if it loses or divides the history.

See my other email.

> There is no problem with the size of the history.

Likewise, see my other email.

Regards,
 Thomas