Re: How to use own newer version of gnus at $HOME

From: Chris Hall
Subject: Re: How to use own newer version of gnus at $HOME
Date: Mon, 03 May 2004 08:12:03 GMT

Lars Tobias Borsting <larstobi@itea.ntnu.no> writes:

>> Press `C-g' and show the resulting backtrace.
>
> I pressed C-g but it didn't pop up any bactrace, it just went on with
> it's next task.

Perhaps doing M-x set-variable RET debug-on-signal RET t would help with
that?

> How can I find out which movemail-program is being used, or where to
> find one and specify it?

I use fetchmail piped to procmail *outside* of Emacs, and have procmail
split my mail into separate groups, so I'm not using an Emacs-related
program, but from recent reading of the Gnus Info (I just last week set
all this up under Gnus 5.10), I think that the default program is
supplied by Emacs, and called 'movemail', oddly enough ;-).  If you are
on an *nix box, 'which movemail' or 'locate movemail' might help.

However, IIRC, Emacs 'movemail' gets from the local *nix spool file and
outputs in RMAIL format - dunno if that is what you wanted, or if
movemail can be persuaded to output into a different format.

According to 'C-h f':
(------------ snip! ------------------)
mail-source-movemail-program's value is nil

Documentation:
If non-nil, name of program for fetching new mail.

You can customize this variable.

Defined in `mail-source'.

HTH,
+Chris

--
In the fight between you and the world, back the world.
-- Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)