Need explanations on a manual excerpt

From: Xavier Maillard
Subject: Need explanations on a manual excerpt
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 09:15:16 +0200

Hello,

I am  trying to  understand something  in the manual.  Maybe you  can be
helpful with this.

Taken from the Gnus manual[1], it is stated that:

«Which  one is  better, auto-expire  or total-expire?  It's not  easy to
answer.  Generally  speaking, auto-expire  is  probably faster.  Another
advantage of  auto-expire is that you  get more marks to  work with: for
the articles  that are  supposed to stick  around, you can  still choose
between tick and dormant and read marks. But with total-expire, you only
have dormant and ticked to choose from. The advantage of total-expire is
that  it works  well with  adaptive  scoring (see  section 7.6  Adaptive
Scoring). Auto-expire  works with normal  scoring but not  with adaptive
scoring.»

So if I  understand well how auto-expire and  total-expire work, I don't
really see what «auto-expire is that you  get more marks to  work with: for
the articles  that are  supposed to stick  around, you can  still choose
between tick and dormant and read marks» means.

I thought  (maybe wrongly), that auto-expire  considerated read articles
as expirable.  How then, can  I keep read  articles as non  expirable if
not ticked ?

Voila.

Regards

zeDek