Re: Not reading active file

From: Joel Reicher
Subject: Re: Not reading active file
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 07:52:00 GMT

pocm@mega.ist.utl.pt (Paulo Jorge Matos) writes:

> Joel Reicher <joel@panacea.null.org> wrote in message
> > Paulo Jorge Matos <pocm@mega.ist.utl.pt> writes:
> >
> > > ;; This variable just tells us we want Gnus to check new groups on start
> > > ;; up when querying server.
> > > (setq gnus-check-new-newsgroups 'ask-server)
> >
> > This means that Gnus will avoid reading the complete active file to
> > determine new newsgroups.
>
> But that's what I should have right, or is there a better option?

It depends what you want. I would certainly prefer that setting if the
news server supported it in all but one situation. That situation is
when I'm connecting to a new news server for the very first time. I
like to have a local copy of the active file, so for that first time I
get all the groups as new.

> > > When it starts it says that it's reading active file from news.netvisao.pt
> > > vvia nntp, however, not even a byte gets in the computer. It seems that it
> > > is not asking for any file.
> >
> > Check the value of gnus-read-active-file.
> >

> It's 'some.
>
> > Why do you want the active file read?
> >

> I though it had to read it. Anyway, I'm having some problems.

Not at all. If you've got your group subscriptions all worked out then
the newsreader never has to read the active file. It can get
information about just those groups.

The active file only needs to be read wholly or partially to find out
about new groups, or to do searches with partial group names. Even if
you want to subscribe to a group you won't need to read the active
file if you know the entire name of that group.

> I've changed my gnus file so that nnimap is my primary backend so it
> is in the gnus-select-method and nntp is in the
> gnus-secondary-select-method. Now gnus opens up fast.

Was the problem before that Gnus was slow? I don't remember you saying
that.

> My email from nnimap is put in a folder called INBOX. I'd like it to
> go under a folder called mail.mega, how can I do that?

Sorry, can't help. I don't use Gnus for mail. You should ask this in a
new post because other readers of this group may be skipping this
thread. Subject lines count for something.

> Another problem is I cannot subscribe to newsgroups just putting its
> name there. If I try U gnu.emacs.gnus it just says there is no such
> group. If I press A A to show the active file I get something as
> follows (only the first 2 lines, I'll post the whole active file if
> you wish heh ;))):
>        *: nntp+Netvisao:0.test
>        *: nntp+Netvisao:0000.sil.is.a.tosser
>
> So to subscribe I have to type all that. :-/ Something like
> nntp+Netvisao:gnu.emacs.gnus.
> That's a mess, can't I remove that prefix?

I think that's happening because nnimap is now your primary method,
but I'm not sure. I think it would make more sense for nntp to be your
primary method and nnimap to be secondary, because you're more likely
to be adjusting newsgroup subscriptions than mail organisation most of
the time.

Cheers,

        - Joel