Re: Help! gnus doesnot download mail

From: John Duncan
Subject: Re: Help! gnus doesnot download mail
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 20:48:51 +1000

Meatball <babby_li@21cn.com> writes:

> I'm using debian3.0+emacs21.3.1+gnus5.10.6, when I use root to login and
> enter gnus, I can read mail, but when I use normal account to login,
> gnus cannot download mail, there's no groups in nnml server, and if I
> use A A to list all groups, there's no mail.* group. Did any one meet
> this situation? Please help me! Here is my .gnus:
>
> (setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "news.newsfan.net"))
>
> (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
>       '(
>       (nnml "")
>       (nntp "news.eclipse.org")
> ))
> (eval-after-load "mail-source"
>   '(add-to-list 'mail-sources '(maildir :path "/var/mail/"
>                                         :subdirs ("mbli"))))
>

> btw, I run fetchmail at startup to fetch my mail
>
> thx

   Hi Meatball,
               Try something more like this, I don't know how you set up
Exim but suppose you have set it up for a smart host to relay your mail
through your ISP. Don't forget to edit /etc/email-adresses or whatever
it is on Debian to rewrite your mail address if you send it with Exim.
This shows how you can do everything a normal person wants with gnus
on its own. It helps if you set up a user with the same name as your
mail account name.

(setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "news.optusnet.com.au"))

(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
      '((nnml "private")))

(setq mail-sources
      '((file :path "/var/mail/agley")
        (pop :server "mail.optusnet.com.au"
             :user "agley"
             :password "*********")))

(setq gnus-message-archive-group "sent")

(setq smtpmail-default-smtp-server "mail.optusnet.com.au")
(setq send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
(setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
(setq user-full-name "John Duncan")
(setq user-mail-address "agley@optusnet.com.au")

(defun my-message-mode-setup ()
   (setq fill-column 72)
   (turn-on-auto-fill))
(add-hook 'message-mode-hook 'my-message-mode-setup)

(setq gnus-auto-expirable-newsgroups "")

(setq gnus-expiry-wait 31)

(setq gnus-button-url 'browse-url-generic
      browse-url-generic-program "opera"
      browse-url-browser-function gnus-button-url)

                                      Hope this helps,
                                           John Duncan