Re: Bug? Extra whitespace in split subject lines in summary buffer

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Bug? Extra whitespace in split subject lines in summary buffer
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 11:41:07 +0200

Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:

>>     31-May [  84: Daniel Brockman     ] patch: bugfixes in rcirc.el
>> (rcirc-default-user-full-name,   rcirc-process-list)
>
> I often look at such ones in the nntp groups.  It seems to be
> due to the INN server, that replaces LWSPs with a couple of
> spaces when generating NOV databases.

This is with groups read from gmane.org -- I don't think it uses INN
anymore.

>> Is this intentional?
>
> Maybe yes, in the sense that Gnus assumes that data in NOV have
> already been cooked [...]

I see.  Thanks.

This also explains why I didn't notice this problem before...

... it must have started some moons ago, when I switched from
subscribing to the mailing lists to reading the lists on gmane.org.

> There are several ways to do that if you don't mind that it
> might slow Gnus.  Here are two examples:

Thanks.  I'll try those.

But I also hope that Lars will fix this on gmane.

>> I tried setting gnus-simplify-subject-functions, but it has no effect.
>
> It is used for other purposes: to test whether two subjects are
> alike, for instance.

IMO, the documentation for gnus-simplify-subject-functions
needs clarification.  It just says "... that simpilifes subjects",
but not the circumstances where the simplified subject is used.