Re: Learning gnus for email only

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: Re: Learning gnus for email only
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2007 23:51:37 +0100

[ Please don't top-post and please try to write more carefully in
  order to make your text more readable. ]

On Tue, Jan 02 2007, harel barzilai wrote:

> b)  ssh into my shell  via plain text terminal ; run emacs from the
> shell ; use gnus from emacs (Which
> I want to just tell it to look at ~/Maildir/ )
>
> so there isn't  that big a difference..my comments were only re my
> mostly
> ignorance and lack of exp. w/pop...but looking at how similar b) is to

I'm not sure, but if the files are already in a maildir structure, you
can leave mail-sources set to nil.  You only need to add an nnmaildir
entry to `gnus-secondary-select-methods' (or `gnus-select-method').

I'd suggest the following setup:

(setq gnus-select-method '(nnnil ""))
(setq mail-sources nil)

(add-to-list
 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
 '(nnmaildir "test"
             (directory "~/Maildir")
             (create-directory "../foo")
             (directory-files nnheader-directory-files-safe)
             (get-new-mail nil)))

I'm not sure about the correct server parameter (I don't use maildir).
Please read (info "(gnus)Maildir") first (and backup your mail before
experimenting).

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,