Re: posting name in summary buffer

From: Adam Sjøgren
Subject: Re: posting name in summary buffer
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 12:50:30 +0100

On Sat, 20 Jan 2007 16:29:59 +0900, Gernot wrote:

> I am confused and don't know what to look for. The problem is that in
> my own posts in a group I see an arrow and the name of the group in
> the summary buffer where I expect to see my own name for the post I
> made. I don't know what that field is called. In the manual it seems
> to be called "the name from the From header".

Perhaps changing the variable gnus-ignored-from-addresses will be of
use to you?

,----[ C-h v gnus-ignored-from-addresses RET ]
| `gnus-ignored-from-addresses' is a variable declared in Lisp.
|   -- loaded from "gnus-sum"
|
| Value: "\\(asjo\\|adam\\)@\\(koldfront.dk\\|asjo.org\\|diku.dk\\)"
|
| Documentation:
| *Regexp of From headers that may be suppressed in favor of To headers.
`----

If you do not set it, it defaults to your user-mail-address, which
probably explains this:

On Sat, 20 Jan 2007 19:46:38 +0900, Gernot wrote:

> Urgh, extra information: when I read gnus from another machine, I see
> my name properly endered in my own posted previously made from the
> machine in which I do not see my own posts.

What you've hit is a feature.

Perhaps it makes the most sense in email - seeing the name of the
recipient for emails you sent yourself is more valuable information
than what your own name is; presumably you are aware of that :-)

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Subdued flamboyance"                                        Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo@koldfront.dk