Re: Gnus sen mail problem from Ubuntu PC

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Gnus sen mail problem from Ubuntu PC
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 14:22:37 +0100

Torben Knudsen <tk@es.aau.dk> writes:

Hi Torben,

> I remember last I used gnus two years ago I save the mails i needed by
> moving them to groups by names like "nnimap+AUC:ARC.private".  I find
> this a bit strange and I can't figure out how to move these files to a
> subdirectory so they all clutter my root directory.

You want to split incoming mail into different groups, if I get you
right. Well, then it depends on how you fetch the incoming mail: If you
fetch it with POP3 or from the local spool (anything set in
`mail-sources'), see

,----[ (info "(gnus)Splitting Mail") ]
| The `nnmail-split-methods' variable says how the incoming mail is to
| be split into groups.
|
|      (setq nnmail-split-methods
|        '(("mail.junk" "^From:.*Lars Ingebrigtsen")
|          ("mail.crazy" "^Subject:.*die\\|^Organization:.*flabby")
|          ("mail.other" "")))
`----

and

,----[ (info "(gnus)Fancy Mail Splitting") ]
| If the rather simple, standard method for specifying how to split mail
| doesn't allow you to do what you want, you can set
| `nnmail-split-methods' to `nnmail-split-fancy'.  Then you can play
| with the `nnmail-split-fancy' variable.
`----

If you store your mail on an IMAP server, you can split mail like it's
described in

,----[ (info "(gnus)Splitting in IMAP") ]
| Splitting is something Gnus users have loved and used for years, and
| now the rest of the world is catching up.  Yeah, dream on, not many
| IMAP servers have server side splitting and those that have splitting
| seem to use some non-standard protocol.  This means that IMAP support
| for Gnus has to do its own splitting.
`----

But for IMAP you can use Sieve [1]. This has the advantage that
splitting is done on the server side, thus removing the dependency on
Gnus. So you can log into the mail providers web interface and still
your mail will be split correctly.

Bye,
Tassilo

Footnotes:
[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sieve_(mail_filtering_language)
--
A morning without coffee is like something without something else.