How to manually download new mail with nnml-get-new-mail set to nil?

From: Gernot Hassenpflug
Subject: How to manually download new mail with nnml-get-new-mail set to nil?
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2007 18:29:14 +0900

Hi all,

I am using No Gnus v0.6 under Debian GNU/linux unstable.

I usually move spam into my ISP's spam folder via my webmail interface
to help train the webmail spam filter, before asking gnus to download
the remainder from the POP3 server.

Hence, I set

(setq nnml-get-new-mail nil)

so that I can update news (from different locations to my ISP) without
downloading mail as well. However, then in the *Group* buffer
executing M-g on a mail group does not download any mail messages,
whereas M-g on a news group updates the headers for that group.

If I set

(setq nnml-get-new-mail t)

then M-g does work on mail groups, but unfortunately this setting also
automatically downloads all mail messages when I start up gnus for the
first time.

I did not find any command relevant to downloading mail manually on
demand, so I am at the moment using the above variable set to nil on
gnus startup and then switch it to t when I want to download mail, and
then switch it back to nil again. Not very elegant!

Would anyone know of a better way to do what I want? Many thanks.
--
G Hassenpflug