Re: `eval' in Posting Styles

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: Re: `eval' in Posting Styles
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 10:48:37 +0100

On Thu, Feb 08 2007, Kamen TOMOV wrote:

> I needed to have a function executed depending on the Posting Style,
> e.g. to have a things like that:
>
> (setq gnus-posting-styles
>       '(("foo"
>        (eval 'bar))
>         ....))
>
> (defun bar ()
>        ....)
>
> It looks like the base was laid some time ago and I wonder why wasn't
> it implemented fully.

It works for me.  I have some
  (eval (message "applying posting style for whatever"))
expressions in my posting styles and I see the message in *Messages*.

Does the following work?

(setq gnus-posting-styles
      '(("foo"
         (eval (bar)))
        ....))

Maybe we should add an example in the manual near this:

,----[ (info "(gnus)Posting Styles") ]
| If the attribute name is `eval', the form is evaluated, and the
| result is thrown away.
`----

Bye, Reiner.
--