Re: killing, but good

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: Re: killing, but good
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 19:32:27 +0100

On Sat, Mar 24 2007, Allan Adler wrote:

> The version of gnus on the Linux system I use is 5.7.

Very, very old.  You should better upgrade to Gnus 5.10.8 or better
upgrade Emacs to version 21.4 (several years old stable) or 22 (in
pretest).

> Suppose that I don't want to read the USENET postings of a certain person,
> say, Peter Daniels, just for definiteness, although there are others. I
> looked at the info for gnus and I think I can figure out how to kill postings
> that are actually by Peter Daniels. However, that isn't good enough, because
> other people who reply to him often quote his offensive remarks and I wind up
> reading them [...]
> How does one do it?

[ Disclaimer: I don't know if the works with Gnus 5.7 ]

Scoring on followup.  Go on an article of the person and press `L F'
or `L f s p'.  See the manual for more details:

,----[ (info "(gnus)Summary Score Commands") ]
|    The keystrokes for actually making score entries follow a very
| regular pattern, so there's no need to list all the commands.
| (Hundreds of them.)
|
|   1. The first key is either `I' (upper case i) for increasing the score
|      or `L' for lowering the score.
|
|   2. The second key says what header you want to score on.  The
|      following keys are available:
| [...]
|     `f'
|           Score on followups--this matches the author name, and adds
|           scores to the followups to this author.  (Using this key
|           leads to the creation of `ADAPT' files.)
| [...]
|    To make things a bit more complicated, there are shortcuts.  If you
| use a capital letter on either the second or third keys, Gnus will use
| defaults for the remaining one or two keystrokes.  The defaults are
| "substring" and "temporary".  So `I A' is the same as `I a s t', and `I
| a R' is the same as `I a r t'.
`----

Bye, Reiner.
--