Re: Switching backends

From: Kai Grossjohann
Subject: Re: Switching backends
Date: Wed, 02 May 2007 16:28:59 +0200

Sebastian Tennant <sebyte@smolny.plus.com> writes:

> I'd like to switch backends and migrate all my old nnfolder mail to
> nnml (for ease of indexing).

First of all, you can keep your old nnfolder folders and migrate them
on a case-by-case basis, as needed.

Secondly, you can turn off topics mode in the group buffer, sort the
groups such that all nnfolder groups are together, then record a
keyboard macro that does the following:

- Extract the group name from the current line in the group buffer
  (sans nnfolder prefix).
- Create a new group with the same name in the nnml backend (with G m).
- Enter the nnfolder group, showing all articles, no threading.
- M P a to mark all articles.
- B m to move or B c to copy them into the nnml group.
- Exit the nnfolder group, returning to the group buffer.
- Advance to the next group in the group buffer.

Then execute that macro as often as needed.

This seems somewhat obvious, though, so I'm not sure if it really
helps.

Kai