Re: Gnus: always seeing old articles when entering an imap folder

From: Joel Reicher
Subject: Re: Gnus: always seeing old articles when entering an imap folder
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2007 07:10:34 GMT

Ferran Jorba <Ferran.Jorba@uab.cat> writes:

> As much as I try to avoid it, I'm always typing `/ o' in my imap folders
> in Gnus.  Moreover, when I check for new messages in my inbox, my Gnus
> talks to our imap server twice: one for `Esc g' and the other for `/ o'.
> And as my inbox is quite big, I feel I overload the server, and
> everything slows down.  On the contrary, checking for new mail on
> Thunderbird without loosing old messages is just a click of a button.

You're not losing old messages. By default Gnus only displays unread
messages when it enters a group. This is fundamental Gnus
functionality and is true (and intuitive) for newsgroups, but
sometimes surprises people for mail folders.

Look in the manual for how to enter groups such that old messages are
displayed.

Cheers,

        - Joel