Re: ? How would you set up gnus from fencepost.gnu.org

From: David Z Maze
Subject: Re: ? How would you set up gnus from fencepost.gnu.org
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 11:45:29 -0400

thesak <don.saklad@gmail.com> writes:

> How would you set up gnus from fencepost.gnu.org ?... It's not clear
> what server or servers to try. It's not clear from the wording of the
> text in the manual how to set up a server.

Really?  If I visit (gnus) in Info, and pick the first highlighted
"Starting Gnus" link, and then pick the highlighted "Finding the News"
link, I see a very clear line on what to put into your .gnus file to
name a news server.  I guess this Info page doesn't specifically say
.gnus, but (a) putting it into .emacs will work fine too and (b) you've
been trying to set up Gnus for enough years now that I hope you've found
that config file by this point.

So if this text is unclear:

>    For instance, if the `news.somewhere.edu' NNTP server is where you
> want to get your daily dosage of news from, you'd say:
>
>      (setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "news.somewhere.edu"))

maybe you could suggest some alternate wording?  At any rate, please go
through some effort to find basic answers yourself, especially when
they've been answered to you personally several times over the past
several years, and please ask a question only once on the newsgroup.

Thanks,

  --dzm