Re: Can access everything but Inbox on my IMAP server

From: Karl Kleinpaste
Subject: Re: Can access everything but Inbox on my IMAP server
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 12:13:30 -0400

levander <levander404@gmail.com> writes:
> Further, I'm playing with deleting articles now.  I'd better not get
> into what I think gnus is doing, and I remember reading something
> about Gnus not working like other mail readers.  But, in Thunderbird
> when I delete a mail message, it gets moved to the Trash folder on the
> IMAP server.  However, when I delete a message in gnus via "B
> <backspace>" and then quitting gnus, the message just disappears.

info://Gnus/Mail+Group+Commands

`B DEL'
     Delete the mail article.  This is "delete" as in "delete it from
     your disk forever and ever, never to return again." Use with
     caution.  (`gnus-summary-delete-article').

You may want some form of expiry, which is how Gnus normally gets rid
of old messages, archiving them elsewhere, instead of deletion.  See
info://Gnus/Expiring+Mail

(`B <backspace>' is equivalent to `B DEL' here.)

> Also, other email clients I've used will sit there and re-check the
> mail server for more messages.  It seems gnus only does this check
> when you start gnus.

info://Gnus/Scanning+New+Messages

`g'
     Check the server(s) for new articles.  If the numerical prefix is
     used, this command will check only groups of level ARG and lower
     (`gnus-group-get-new-news').  If given a non-numerical prefix, this
     command will force a total re-reading of the active file(s) from
     the back end(s).

There are timer-based ways of inducing Gnus to look for new messages,
too, including conditionals on whether you've been busy lately and
whatnot.  See info://Gnus/Daemons