Re: "You should byte-compile Gnus" ?

From: Hallvard B Furuseth
Subject: Re: "You should byte-compile Gnus" ?
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2008 18:07:01 +0100

Katsumi Yamaoka writes:
> The default value of `ad-default-compilation-action' is `maybe'
> which means not to compile advised functions if bytecomp.elc is
> not loaded.  Though that advice to gnus seems needless now ;-),
> there are several ways to force the byte-compilation:

This looks like a Gnus buglet to me.  I think the reason you should
compile Gnus is that it can be horribly slow uncompiled.  But that is
the gnus _package_, not the gnus _function_.

So the test needs to see past the defadvise.  Something like this, I
guess - though I don't know defadvise so I'm not sure:

(defconst gnus-is-compiled)             ;declare constant before use
(defun gnus (...)
  (unless gnus-is-compiled
    (message "You should byte-compile Gnus")
  ...))
(defconst gnus-is-compiled (byte-code-function-p (symbol-function 'gnus)))

--
Hallvard