Re: summary buffer format for archives

From: Richard G Riley
Subject: Re: summary buffer format for archives
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 13:56:13 +0100

Hi Tassilo,

> Richard G Riley <rileyrgdev@gmail.com> writes:
>
> Hi Richard,
>
>> Where are the parameters available inside the format functions
>> documented?
>
> Group Buffer:
>
>   (info "(gnus)Group Line Specification")
>   (info "(gnus)Group Mode Line Specification")
>
> Summary Buffer:
>
>   (info "(gnus)Summary Buffer Lines")
>   (info "(gnus)Summary Buffer Mode Line")
>
> General:
>
>   (info "(gnus)Formatting Variables")

I meant inside the format functions (elisp) as in the function I posted
in the article you replied to e.g:

,----

| ,----
| | (setq gnus-group-line-format "%M\%S\%p\%P\%uy%(%-40,40g%) %ud\n")
| |
| |
| | (defun gnus-user-format-function-y (headers)
| |   (if (string-match "^nnfolder" gnus-tmp-group)
| |       ""
| |       (concat gnus-tmp-number-of-unread "-")
| |     )
| |   )
| `----
`----

How does one get to know which functions/variables are available inside
gnus-user-format-function-y? Here in this case I kept googling until I
found sample functions to discover the existence of
gnus-tmp-number-of-unread. Is there some kind of dynymic/info way to
find out all available "locals". (I'm not really an elisp programmer so
anything I do tends to be cobbled together from other examples).

(I was aware of the format specifiers as they were relatively easy to locate in
the info file.)

I guess I'm probably asking for a quick tutorial in how to figure out
what's there for these things from browsing existing elisp on the
running system. And while I'm at it, every example user defined format
function I have seen ignores "headers" or whatever the parameter passed
in to it is named.