Re: multiple Gmail accounts + nnimap + ~/.authinfo

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: multiple Gmail accounts + nnimap + ~/.authinfo
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2008 12:31:30 -0500

On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 17:38:45 +0200 Suno Ano <suno.ano@googlemail.com> wrote:

SA> ,----[ My ~/.authinfo: ]
SA> | machine imap.gmail.com login <gmail_1>@gmail.com password <first_pw>
port 993
SA> | machine imap.gmail.com login <gmail_2>@gmail.com password <second_pw>
port 993
SA> | machine imap.gmail.com login <gmail_3>@gmail.com password <third_pw>
port 993
SA> | machine imap.gmail.com login <gmail_4>@gmail.com password <fourth_pw>
port 993
SA> `----

SA> After starting Gnus, I enter the group buffer, hit B C-k nnimap RET
SA> <gmail_1>@gmail.com. Then I subscribe to the groups like INBOX etc.

SA> I repeat the former step for all four of my Gmail accounts. The problem
SA> is, when I quit Gnus and start it again, all INBOX groups show the
SA> emails from my first Gmail account i.e. <Gmail_1>@gmail.com.

Currently the netrc.el code and everything that uses it only goes by
server+port.  In other words, the four lines above look the same to the
netrc.el code so you just get the first one.

I usually set up /etc/hosts aliases for these situations, and that might
work for you until this is resolved.

I can modify netrc.el, but I'm not sure of the best way to do it.  Note
that your nnimap method:

(add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
       `(nnimap                ,priv-gmail0-mail-user
                 (nnimap-address      ,priv-imap-gmail-mail-server)
                 (nnimap-server-port  993)
                 (nnimap-stream       ssl)
               )
  )

doesn't have anything to distinguish it, besides the method name itself,
from the other 3 methods.  So we'd need to pass the method name to
netrc, and have an identifier in each row that points to that method.
Maybe this would work?

server gmail1 machine imap.gmail.com login <gmail_1>@gmail.com password
<first_pw>  port 993

...assuming your method is called "gmail1"?

We could also make 'machine' a more complex field, but I don't like that
approach.

Any opinions?

Ted