Re: Problem with openssl and Gnus

From: DigitalPig
Subject: Re: Problem with openssl and Gnus
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 23:34:13 -0400

Hi~ I tried on my computer with openssl. It seems that you need the root
certificate of VeriSign. First I used openssl with the exactly same
options as you did and got:
> Verify return code: 20 (unable to get local issuer certificate)
However, I added the -CApath /etc/ssl/certs (Ubuntu 7.10 with
ca-certificates package installed.) Then the authentication looks OK:
> Verify return code: 0 (ok)
So I am thinking that you are lack of Root certificate of VerySign. I
agree with you that maybe it is not the point of the problem. But maybe
the issue because sometimes you don't know what the real reason for the
error is.

>Then all of emacs locks up untill i terminate openssl, at which point
>gnus tries to send my IMAP login, but it's too late because openssl is
>already gone.
Frankly speaking, I doubt about this reason. If you use openssl you can
see that everything is paused waiting for the further IMAP commands
to be sent from the client. I don't know the detail mechanism for Gnus
since I used fetchmail instead of Gnus to get mails. But what I have
faced one week ago is I cannot let my postfix to relay on Gmail server
to send out any emails simply because of the certificate problem.

--
DigitalPig
E-mail: digitalpiglee AT gmail DOT com