Re: sort-by-author

From: imputerate
Subject: Re: sort-by-author
Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 14:42:51 -0700 (PDT)

ted; thanks, i didn't know that distinction of terminology;

here's what i did:
1/ loaded gnus:

[ Gnus --
7402 ]
      36: nnml
+privat:mail.posted
    7308:*nnml
+privat:mail.misc
  [ misc --
58 ]
        58: nndraft:drafts

2/ then i put the cursor on
7308:*nnml+privat:mail.misc

3/ that yielded its summary buffer;

4/ i went to:
http://gnus.org/manual/big-gnus.html#IDX932

5/ it says  [for threaded summary displays]:
By default, sorting is done on article numbers. Ready-made sorting
predicate functions include gnus-thread-sort-by-number, gnus-thread-
sort-by-author,...

and also:
If you are using an unthreaded display for some strange reason or
other, you have to fiddle with the gnus-article-sort-functions
variable. It is very similar to the gnus-thread-sort-functions, except
that it uses slightly different functions for article comparison.
Available sorting predicate functions are gnus-article-sort-by-number,
gnus-article-sort-by-author...

and also:

C-c C-s C-a
    Sort by author (gnus-summary-sort-by-author).

6/ the third command works [thanks again for pointing me in the right
direction];

7/ so, does that mean that my summary buffer,

-uu1:---F1  Gnus: privat:m.misc [0] {7308 more}   Top L1     (Summary
Plugged)---------

 isn't dealing with threads or even with articles?