Re: sending email via smtp-server: SSL?

From: Martin Steffen
Subject: Re: sending email via smtp-server: SSL?
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 18:10:36 +0200

    Andrzej> Looking for alternative solutions: a) Does the SMTP server
    Andrzej> require SMMTP authentication?

I will ask the gurus about that, I don't know.

They have a web-page where they describe how to use email (but they
describe only evolution, and from outside/home, webmail-access seems
recommended, which is a pain...). That "SMMTP"-thing is not mentioned.

BTW: I also succeeded to use the mentioned SMTP-server to forward emails
sent from my cell phone by setting the security option to "SSL/TLS"
(without it it does not work). Maybe that is related to the thing.

    Andrzej> b) Do you have ssh access to OS
    Andrzej> account at the university?

I do have ssh-access to my login at the university. Or what do you mean by
"ssh access to OS acount"? That's indeed how I use gnus: login via ssh, and
then use emacs/gnus.

It would be nicer to do it direct, however: first of all, emacs would not
run inside an xterm, and, more important, I could write offline-emails, if
I had solved that.

But thanks

Martin