Re: Emacs Bundling and Gnus Compatibility

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Emacs Bundling and Gnus Compatibility
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 09:35:36 -0500

On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 09:46:27 +0200 Tassilo Horn <tassilo@member.fsf.org> wrote:

TH> Volkan YAZICI <volkan.yazici@gmail.com> writes:
TH> Hi Volkan,

>> I've just upgraded my emacs to 22.3 and "C-h v gnus-version" tells me
>> that it uses "Gnus v5.11". It doesn't take so long to learn that
>> neither "/ b", nor "/ R" works anymore despite both documented[1] in
>> the gnus manual.

TH> I use Emacs 23 and the bundled Gnus (v5.13), but there / b and / R are
TH> available.  What do `C-h k / b' and `C-h k / R' in *Summary* say?

Mayble Volkan should update just Gnus if he wants the latest (5.13)?

Otherwise he could pull from CVS if he wanted the absolute latest
features and bugs :)  Gnus has been pretty stable; I can recall maybe 4
times it was broken in CVS, so this is not a big deal IMO.

>> How does emacs bundle gnus that it contradicts with the official gnus
>> documentation.  Which documentation should I look at for gnus bundled
>> with emacs?

TH> The right documentation is always the one you get with `C-h i m Gnus
TH> RET'.

Lars updated the website to have up-to-date documentation.  That's a
good thing, I think, because many users find a web search convenient and
fighting against that is a losing proposition.

Ted