Re: OpenSSL with SMTP mail instead of GnuTLS

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: OpenSSL with SMTP mail instead of GnuTLS
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 18:55:36 -0700 (PDT)

On Sep 19, 8:45 pm, Phil Lord <phil.lord....@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Sep 19, 2:28 am, "chrych...@gmail.com" <chrych...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Sep 19, 12:44 am, Phil Lord <phil.lord....@googlemail.com> wrote:
> > Now, I am able to get the part where data is sent up to the point
> > where a dot character on a line by itself is sent.  I assume this is
> > something like an EOF signal to the SMTP server.  However, nothing
> > happens for a while after.  Then I get the "read:errno=54" in the SMTP
> > session trace buffer.
>
> > Any ideas anyone?

It looks like it's a problem with my SMTP server.  I recreated the
session in the command line and was able to observe the same
behavior.  I'll take this up with support instead.

> > Also, I think smtpmail isn't really a part of Gnus so it has problems
> > with OpenSSL where Gnus doesn't.
>
> I think the key problem is just that smtpmail.el is old; the author
> also
> wrote GnuTLS -- it works best with this, but not on windows.
>
> Actually, you might want to try a completely different option. I've
> been following
> instructions from on msmtp -- this is a lightweight SMTP client which
> looks to the outside world
> (specifically emacs!) like sendmail.

Thanks for the info but I'm trying to avoid having to install new
software at the moment.  This is my last resort if ever I don't get
this working with what is already in my system at the moment.