Re: Displaying html mail

From: Laura Conrad
Subject: Re: Displaying html mail
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 08:17:52 -0400

    >> For instance, if a retailer sends me an email saying "click here to
    >> see images", I'd like to be able to click.  At the moment, if the
    >> article is text, I can see a URL and click it, but if it's html, I see
    >> only the text and not the URL.

    Charles> You could try this:

    Charles> |    For instance, a common question is how to make
    Charles> | Emacs/w3 follow links using the `browse-url' functions
    Charles> | (which will call some external web browser like
    Charles> | Netscape).  Here's one way:

    Charles> |      (eval-after-load "w3"
    Charles> |        '(progn
    Charles> |          (fset 'w3-fetch-orig (symbol-function 'w3-fetch))
    Charles> |          (defun w3-fetch (&optional url target)
    Charles> |            (interactive (list (w3-read-url-with-default)))
    Charles> |            (if (eq major-mode 'gnus-article-mode)
    Charles> |                (browse-url url)
    Charles> |              (w3-fetch-orig url target)))))
    Charles> |

    Charles> |    Put that in your `.emacs' file, and hitting links in
    Charles> | w3-rendered HTML in the Gnus article buffers will use
    Charles> | `browse-url' to follow the link.

That does cause the URLs to be clickable, but so far I can't make
clicking them  do anything.  I have set browse-url to be
browse-url-firefox, so I would expect it to open a link that I click
in firefox, the way clicking on somthing that looks like a URL does
when I have a text email.  But it isn't, as far as I can see, doing
anything, although the text does change color when I click.

This is in Gnus 5.11 as run from emacs-snapshot in Ubuntu Hardy Heron.

--
Laura   (mailto:lconrad@laymusic.org http://www.laymusic.org/ )
(617) 661-8097  233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139

If there happens to be a number of greater voices in the Concert than
your own, they will swallow you up; therefore in such a case, I would
recommend to you the resolution (tho' not the impudence) of a
discarded actor, who after he had been twice hissed off the stage,
mounted again, and with great assurance he thundered out these words:
"I will be heard".

William Billings