Re: Move a group of email messages

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: Re: Move a group of email messages
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2008 21:44:13 +0100

On Mon, Dec 01 2008, era eriksson wrote:

> Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane <at> imap.cc> writes:
>> ,----[ (info "(gnus)Saving Articles") ]
>> |    All these commands use the process/prefix convention (*note
>> | Process/Prefix::).  If you save bunches of articles using these
>> | functions, you might get tired of being prompted for files to save each
>> | and every article in.  The prompting action is controlled by the
>> | `gnus-prompt-before-saving' variable, which is `always' by default,
>> | giving you that excessive prompting action you know and loathe.  If you
>> | set this variable to `t' instead, you'll be prompted just once for each
>> | series of articles you save.  If you like to really have Gnus do all
>> | your thinking for you, you can even set this variable to `nil', which
>> | means that you will never be prompted for files to save articles in.
>> | Gnus will simply save all the articles in the default files.
>> `----
>
> This just bit me as well.  It really sucks that the docstring for
> C-o fails to mention this.  Could it be fixed to mention this?

Sure, but it should probably be added to the doc strings of all the
saving commands described in (info "(gnus)Saving Articles"), when
appropriate (this must be checked!).

We could add short reference to `gnus-prompt-before-saving' to the end
of the doc string, e.g.

"Prompting is controlled by `gnus-prompt-before-saving'."

Patches welcome.  :-)

> It's currently misleading -- I spent a while trying to figure out
> how to pass an explicit `nil' prefix arg, only to find that it
> didn't help at all.

I don't see what's misleading there, please elaborate.

> (Looks like this is refactored in the current trunk?)

?

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,