Re: Where does Gnus put it's files

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Where does Gnus put it's files
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2008 10:29:03 -0600

On 04 Dec 2008 21:29:19 +0100 Cecil Westerhof <CecilWesterhof@xs4all.nl> wrote:

CW> Sebastian Kaps <seb@sauerland.de> writes:
>> > I understood  that Gnus  should put  it files into  ~/News. But  in this
>> > folder is  only a folder  drafts.
>>
>> You're looking for ~/.newsrc and ~/.newsrc.eld.

CW> That is not what I mend. I mend where does it put the articles? It looks
CW> like Gnus download all the articles  everytime again. That is a waist of
CW> bandwith. Especially with big newsgroups.

I think you want to look at the Gnus Agent.  Assuming you don't use it:

Downloading articles every time is never done unless you request it.
When you enter a group you get the overview, which tells you how many
articles are there and which ones are new/old/etc.  Maybe this is what
you see as downloading?

Ted