SSL nntp authentication

From: Rthoreau
Subject: SSL nntp authentication
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2009 20:35:13 -0800 (PST)

I am in the process of setting up my gnus.el file and need some
assistance setting up my nntp server.  My ISP uses ssl authentication,
According to the manual I need to use the nntp-open-ssl-stream but am
at a loss as I can not get SSLay which is required.
nntp-open-ssl-stream
    Opens a connection to a server over a secure channel. To use this
you must have SSLay installed (`ftp://ftp.psy.uq.oz.au/pub/Crypto/
SSL', and you also need `ssl.el' (from the W3 distributeion, for
instance). You then define a server as follows:

    ;; Type `C-c C-c' after you've finished editing.
    ;;
    ;; "snews" is port 563 and is predefined in our /etc/services
    ;;
    (nntp "snews.bar.com"
          (nntp-open-connection-function nntp-open-ssl-stream)
          (nntp-port-number "snews")
          (nntp-address "snews.bar.com"))

Google has not really come up with a good source for SSLay, and the
provided site seems to be down.
Resolving ftp.psy.uq.oz.au... 130.102.32.1
Connecting to ftp.psy.uq.oz.au|130.102.32.1|:21... failed: Connection
refused

Just a little about my system I am using OpenSuse 11.0, with standard
emacs version which is 22.x something. I am using fetchmail to get my
mail from the mail servers which also require ssl authentication.  I
would like to use emacs and a local spool to read mail, and of course
use gnus to read Usenet.

I have been using Google groups so far, but would like to use Gnus, as
my client of choice for reading news.  I could use another source for
the nntp server such as gmane, or other source but I would prefer to
use my ISP if possible.  I am open to any suggestions that would make
this happen.