Re: Emacs-w3m mailing list brings gnus (and emacs) to a grinding halt

From: Katsumi Yamaoka
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2009 14:56:06 +0900

> Gretings all.

> On 2003-02-03 I re-compiled Emacs/Gnus from cvs - 23.0.60 to 23.0.90.

> All seems well so far but for one glitch.  When reading the emacs-w3m
> mailing list, which is mainly in Japanese, top shows emacs using 79%-85%
> cpu, and it takes several minutes to display any selected message.

No problem here.  I build Emacs CVS almost every day and have never
experienced such a trouble for years.  That cannot be because I live
in Japan. ;-)

> No other mailing lists or newsgroups are affected so I think it must be
> a language/encoding/glyph issue of some sort.

> Simple actions such as marking a single message for expiry take at least
> two minutes.  That is I press the 'E' and then have to wait that long
> for the action to complete before I can proceed.

> I have noticed a great improvement in the rendering of the Japanese
> characters.  Previously, those that were displayed were far to large but
> most were shown as placeholders of some sort, but now they are all
> rendered and, to my non-Japanese reading eye, seem quite elegantly
> displayed.

> So, my question is, does anybody have any idea why the slowdown?  And
> maybe where I could start looking for a solution?

> Joe

> PS: At first I thought that maybe it was the font server but nothing
>     else seems to be affected.

Is visiting the HELLO file (i.e. `C-h h') slow, too?  Is it slow even
in Emacs that is launched by `emacs -Q'?  Otherwise, how about trying
`toggle-debug-on-quit' or ELP?  Cf. (info "(gnus)Troubleshooting")

Info> Sometimes, a problem do not directly generate an elisp error but
Info> manifests itself by causing Gnus to be very slow...