Re: Emacs-w3m mailing list brings gnus (and emacs) to a grinding halt

From: Joe
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2009 17:41:55 +0000

Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:

>> Gretings all.
>
>> On 2003-02-03 I re-compiled Emacs/Gnus from cvs - 23.0.60 to 23.0.90.
>
>> All seems well so far but for one glitch.  When reading the emacs-w3m
>> mailing list, which is mainly in Japanese, top shows emacs using 79%-85%
>> cpu, and it takes several minutes to display any selected message.
>
> No problem here.  I build Emacs CVS almost every day and have never
> experienced such a trouble for years.  That cannot be because I live
> in Japan. ;-)
>
>> No other mailing lists or newsgroups are affected so I think it must be
>> a language/encoding/glyph issue of some sort.

> Is visiting the HELLO file (i.e. `C-h h') slow, too?  Is it slow even
> in Emacs that is launched by `emacs -Q'?  Otherwise, how about trying
> `toggle-debug-on-quit' or ELP?  Cf. (info "(gnus)Troubleshooting")

Both visiting the HELLO file and running 'Show All of Mule Status'
suffer from the same problem - though not on the scale of gnus.

With that information I found the problem and it's *not* gnus. :-)
It's all the fault of xfstt, contrary to my original post.  Killing that
server and setting the truetype font path in xorg.conf solves the speed
problem, though the rendering is definitely inferior.

So emacs 23.0.90 and Debian's xfstt 1.7-5 don't play nice together.  No
problems manifested with any of the (few) other apps I use.

Thanks for the pointers.  Saved me no end of time tracking this problem
down.  Now I just have to isolate the *exact* cause for a bug report.

Thanks again,

Joe

--
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nath Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't
you understand?

To email me: ergotmania (at) googlemail (.) com