gnus-article-decode-charset breaks attachments

From: james . leifer
Subject: gnus-article-decode-charset breaks attachments
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 14:06:49 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

I'm running

  GNU Emacs 23.0.60.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.12.9) of
2008-05-06 on iridium, modified by Debian

with its built in Gnus v5.13.

When I view received mail messages with (French) accented characters,
gnus is not displaying accented characters correctly (e.g. it shows
backlash codes like \351 instead of e-acute).

When I run gnus-article-decode-charset on the displayed message, the
accented characters suddenly display correctly but the attachments are
no longer hotlinks: if I move the cursor over one and press enter I
get the following error message:

  Buffer is read-only: #<buffer *Article inboxx*>

How can I display accents correctly _and_ continue to have attachment
links working?

Please ask me if I can give any more diagnostic info to help debug
this...

Many thanks,
James