Re: More gnewb questions

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: More gnewb questions
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2009 20:25:43 +0200

notbob@bb.nothome.com writes:

> First and formost: why does it take gnus 1-2 mins to load up new stuff
> into the group buffer?  I get this:
>
> Reading nntp: 3500K   (<--counting)
>
> Reading active file from eu.Usenet-News.net via nntp...  (waiting)

I know that symptom as well.  RET on a group and gnus tries to fetch the
whole internet, but using `gnus-agent-fetch-session' before entering a
group works very quick.  So now I use this:

(defun th-gnus-get-news-and-agent-fetch (arg)
  "First look for new news via `gnus-group-get-new-news' and then
let the agent fetch it via `gnus-agent-fetch-session'.
Equivalent to `g' followed by `J s' in *Group*."
  (interactive "P")
  (gnus-group-get-new-news arg)
  (gnus-agent-fetch-session))

(define-key gnus-group-mode-map (kbd "C-c g")
  'th-gnus-get-news-and-agent-fetch)

Before starting to read my subscribed newsgroups, I hit `C-c g' (instead
of the usual `g') which checks for new articles and downloads them.
This works quite fast, and afterwards RET or SPACE on a group enters
them instantly.

Bye,
Tassilo
--
Richard Stallman  doesn't write programs,  they write themselves  out of
reverence.