Re: Cannot connect to Exchange Server

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Cannot connect to Exchange Server
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2009 16:22:24 -0500

On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 07:25:29 -0700 (PDT) Jens Schmidt <jens.schmidt35@arcor.de>
wrote:

JS> Hi.
JS> During my vacation my company changed something in the Exchange Server
JS> set-up. When I access the old server using Gnus (or telnet) I get
JS> a referral like that

JS>   REFERRAL imap://<user>;AUTH=*@<new server>/

JS> which Gnus cannot handle (it seems to be bogus, anyway).

JS> When I check my Outlook settings, I can see that the IMAP server
JS> automagically changed to <new server> as well.

JS> But when I try to connect to <new server> using Gnus (or "telnet <new
server> imap") I get a "Connection failed" or "No route to host", even
JS> though ping and Outlook *can* connect to the server. I also tried the
JS> standard IMAP and IMAP/SSL ports as well, to no avail.

JS> The IT guys are of no help either ("We support only Outlook.").

JS> What can Outlook do special to connect to that new Exchange Server?

It sounds like the IMAP port on the new server is closed, if
`telnet HOST imap' fails.  Outlook uses a different protocol, not IMAP.
ping doesn't care about IMAP.  There's not much Gnus can do, you need to
get that IMAP service enabled.

Ted