Re: Connection fails

From: Edward M. Reingold
Subject: Re: Connection fails
Date: 17 Sep 2009 09:49:55 -0500

    TZ> Method 2:

    TZ> If you can't edit the server, it's probably defined in your Lisp
    TZ> configuration as a primary or secondary, so you need to make the
    TZ> changes there.  The manual examples use Lisp code so you should be
    TZ> able to get the needed formatting from there.  It's slightly different
    TZ> from the server buffer parameters.

Indeed, that server is defined in my .emacs and is not
editable.  Here is what I have in the .emacs:

(setq nntp-ssl-program "/usr/local/ssl/bin/openssl s_client -quiet -ssl3
-connect %s:%p")
(setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "news.acm.uiuc.edu"))
(setq nntp-authinfo-user "reingold")
(setq nntp-authinfo-password "XXXXXXX")
(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
      '((nntp "news.cs.illinois.edu"
              (nntp-open-connection-function nntp-open-ssl-stream)
              (nntp-port-number 563)
              (nntp-address "news.cs.illinois.edu")
              (nntp-authinfo-user "reingold")
              (nntp-authinfo-password "XXXXXXXX"))))

I think this is as per the manual, but it doesn't work for the
news.cs.illinois.edu server (the other is just fine).  What do I do to fix it?

--

Professor Edward M. Reingold                Email: reingold@iit.edu
Department of Computer Science              Voice: (312) 567-3309