Re: My signature and its (missing) space

From: Merciadri Luca
Subject: Re: My signature and its (missing) space
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 13:10:47 +0200

Richard Riley <rileyrgdev@gmail.com> writes:

> Merciadri Luca <Luca.Merciadri@student.ulg.ac.be> writes:
>
>> Richard Riley <rileyrgdev@gmail.com> writes:

>>> What reaction? It was merely pointed out hat your signature is
>>> incorrectly set and that Gnu normally does it correctly. This suggests a
>>> bug in Gnu or an error on your part.
>>>
>> I hadn't thought that people would notice such a thing!
>
> You notice it when you reply. Gnus automatically cuts of the signature
> when its properly set. You not setting it correctly means it must be
> manually done or one must change the regexp which matches the "-- ".
> It's a minor inconvenience. Not the end of the world.
Yes, but I was surprised as it is a detail. I had never thought that
people would notice such a detail. But I anyway find it important.

>>> What settings do you have where you think the 2 or 3 lines I showed you
>>> dont work? Someone else helpfully suggested you are using the wrong, out
>>> of date and non supported mailcrypt for some reason. You need to use
>>> epa.
>> Principally, I have parameterized MIME settings for PGnus.
>
> What does that mean?
I am using a special configuration with homemade parameters. Here are
the potential things which would potentially interfere with my
settings:

1. MIME Settings (from my .gnus):

;; MIME Settings for PGnus
 (require 'mm-util)
 (defun mm-read-charset (prompt)
   "Return a charset."
   'iso-8859-15)
 (setq gnus-default-posting-charset (quote iso-8859-15))
 (setq gnus-article-decode-mime-words t)
 (setq gnus-article-decode-charset 1)
 (setq gnus-mime-view-all-parts t) ; View all the MIME parts in current article
 (setq gnus-ignored-mime-types
       '("text/x-vcard"))
 (setq gnus-unbuttonized-mime-types nil) ; MIME type -> no buttons when rendered
 (setq
 ;; Add buttons
  gnus-treat-buttonize t
  ;; Add buttons to the head
  gnus-treat-buttonize-head 'head
  ;; Emphasize text
  gnus-treat-emphasize t
  ;; Fill the article
  gnus-treat-fill-article nil
;  ;; Remove carriage returns
  gnus-treat-strip-cr 'last
  ;; Hide headers
  gnus-treat-hide-headers 'head
;  ;; Hide boring headers
  gnus-treat-hide-boring-headers 'head
  ;; Hide the signature
  gnus-treat-hide-signature nil
 ;; Hide cited text
;  gnus-treat-hide-citation nil
  ;; Strip PGP signatures
  gnus-treat-strip-pgp 'last
;  ;; Strip PEM signatures
  gnus-treat-strip-pem 'last
  ;; Highlight the headers
  gnus-treat-highlight-headers 'head
  ;; Highlight cited text
;  gnus-treat-highlight-citation 'last
  ;; Highlight the signature
  gnus-treat-highlight-signature 'last
  ;; Display the Date in UT (GMT)
  gnus-treat-date-ut nil
  ;; Display the Date in the local timezone
  gnus-treat-date-local nil
  ;; Display the date in the original timezone
  gnus-treat-date-original nil
  ;; Strip trailing blank lines
  gnus-treat-strip-trailing-blank-lines 'last
 ;; Strip leading blank lines
  gnus-treat-strip-leading-blank-lines 'last
  ;; Strip multiple blank lines
  gnus-treat-strip-multiple-blank-lines 'last
  ;; Strip all blank lines
  ;; gnus-treat-strip-blank-lines nil
  ;; Treat overstrike highlighting
  gnus-treat-overstrike 'last
  )
 ;;* show the text/plain part before the text/html part in multpart/alternative
 (require 'mm-decode)
 ;;;-- no way do compile with this
; ;;;--(push "text/plain" mm-alternative-precedence)
 ;;;--(setq mm-alternative-precedence "text/plain")
 (message "gnus.el: MIME initialized")

2. I had pretty nothing to do to configure Mailcrypt correctly (it was really a
straightforward installation). Thus, I am having various parts of my
Gnus being mixed with Mailcrypt (Mailcrypt is integrated in it): when
sending an e-mail, or to a newsgroup, it asks me to sign. I am obliged
to sign. For example, I have to type C-c y (my private key).

I am going to try to use epa, but I do not want it to messes with my settings.

> I'm confused as to why you seem so reluctant to use
> epa as suggested by 2 or 3 different people.
Sorry if that is what my attitude looks like. That is not what I want
to do: if epa is better (and it seems so, as suggested by 2 or three
different people), I need to use it. I simply do not want that it
messes with my different homemade settings.

Thanks for your precious help.

- --
Merciadri Luca