Fetching mail from a pop3 account

From: Wolfgang Pausch
Subject: Fetching mail from a pop3 account
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 2009 22:13:37 +0200

Hello,

sorry for asking again (the first time, no one responded), but I didn't yet
make gnus fetch my mail and my webmail account contains a thousand mails now...

In the group buffer, I see the mail I downloaded using a direct getmail call,
but I can't make gnus fetching the mail from the pop3 account.  I simply
doesn't :-(

My setup is like this:
(setq mail-sources
          '((pop :server "pop.gmx.net" :username "foo" :password "bar" :program
"~/.config/getmail/get-all-mail.sh")))
(setq gnus-select-method '(nnnil ""))
(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnmaildir "" (directory "~/mail/gnus"))))
(setq nnmail-crosspost nil)
(setq nnmail-split-header-length-limit 100000)
(setq nnmail-split-methods 'nnmail-split-fancy)
(load "~/emacs/gnus-mail-split.el")
(setq gnus-verbose 10)

and gnus-mail-split.el contains currently just the following entry:
(setq nnmail-split-fancy
          '(| ("subject" ".*\[dsa\].*" "dsa")
                  "inbox"
                  ))

Ok, having set gnus-verbose to 10, when I start gnus or hit g in the group
buffer, I get the following output in messages:
Reading active file via nnnil...done
Reading active file via nnmaildir
Checking new news...
Opening nndoc server on gnus-help...done
Checking new news...done

Questions:
Is my assumption correct that checking for new news (hitting g) should also
fetch mail from my pop3 account?  Or do I have to do something else?
Then: Is the above setup reasonable?

In fact the get-all-mail.sh script contains everything necessary for fetching
mail, so I don't need to give username, password etc. to gnus, but I added
these options nevertheless for the case that there might somewhere a check
wether they are supplied.

Side question:  Do I have to create some directories for mail splitting, or is
just adding an entry like above sufficient?

Thanks for any help!

Wolfgang