Re: Big IMAP folders

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Big IMAP folders
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 10:24:27 -0500

On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 15:52:10 +0200 Andrzej Adam Filip <Andrzej.Filip@gmail.com>
wrote:

AAF> How often do search *ALL* messages in the folder? :-)

AAF> I use  gmail as "permanent archive" (mainly for mailing lists) and
AAF> local copy to read "fresh" mails.
AAF> [ I do not use gmail for "personal" mail ]

I think disk space is cheap and it's always good to have a local copy of
the data.  GMail has gone down many times and I'd rather not rely on it
for all my mail (in fact, this is why I run my own IMAP server).

Also, synchronizing IMAP is pretty much free after the initial copy.
Messages are guaranteed to be immutable.  So it's not expensive to do this.

Ted