Re: External viewers; Select-by-Copy

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: External viewers; Select-by-Copy
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2009 14:35:34 -0600

On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 18:04:08 -0500 "Mark T. B. Carroll" <mtbc@ixod.org> wrote:

MTBC> Two things that Gnus does that really annoy me are:
MTBC> * If I select text in a message, only that text is quoted when I reply.

That's a feature, I'm not sure why it should be changed.  Why is it harmful?

MTBC> * If an external viewer is launched for a message attachment or URL or
MTBC>   whatever, I can't quit Emacs without it killing the viewer.

I think to correct that, the child process needs to disassociate itself
from Emacs as its parent and that's pretty complicated (requires C calls
that are not available in ELisp AFAIK).  I last did this 15+ years ago
so maybe someone else with more current knowledge can comment.

Ted