Re: External viewers; Select-by-Copy

From: Mark T. B. Carroll
Subject: Re: External viewers; Select-by-Copy
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2009 11:27:24 -0500

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
(snip)
> Sorry, I thought you knew how to clear the selection.  I really don't
> think it needs to be turned off or that it's a bug from anyone's point
> of view.

Now I think about it further, I think it unsettles me partly because
it's the first application I've used that breaks a rule I'd previously
internalized: that what I select to copy into the paste buffer isn't per
se input to any application I didn't paste it into. I'll get used to it,
I just didn't want to miss an easy way not to have to.

> You can do the disassociation in a shell/Perl/etc. script. Also there
> are programs to launch the URL or file in the OS's default URL
> handler, e.g. in Ubuntu there's a way to do it. When you launch the
> URL or file that way, the handler won't be associated with Emacs.

Ah, thank you, I just need an intermediate handler of some kind that can
do the disassociation. That might actually be worth to getting around
to. Some applications can remember what state they were in when they
were killed and then restore it, but things like Adobe Reader don't.

Mark