Re: Gnus and pgp

From: Richard Riley
Subject: Re: Gnus and pgp
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2009 20:20:44 +0100

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 19:35:17 +0100 Richard Riley <rileyrgdev@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> RR> I just wonder how many of you were using pgp and something like
> RR> gupg-agent?
>
> RR> I was having terrible connection problems for ages with a set up like
> RR> this:
>
> RR> ,----
> RR> | (require 'auth-source)
> RR> | (require 'epa-file)
> RR> | (setq epa-file-cache-passphrase-for-symmetric-encryption t) ;;VERY
> Important
> RR> | (if (file-exists-p "~/.authinfo")
> RR> |     (setq auth-sources '((:source "~/.authinfo" :host t :protocol t)))
> RR> |     (setq auth-sources '((:source "~/.authinfo.gpg" :host t :protocol
> t))))
> RR> | (setq
> RR> |       mml2015-encrypt-to-self t
> RR> |       mml2015-cache-passphrase t
> RR> |       mml2015-passphrase-cache-expiry 60000
> RR> |       mml2015-verbose t)
> RR> `----
>
> RR> When using the .gpg, hard to pinpoint but constant refusals to connect
> RR> to a server (nntp) when doing a refresh or even starting Gnus for the
> first
> RR> time. Often quitting gnus and then restarting fixed it. I know the
> RR> default above is .authinfo as that is my set up now (I just recreated
> RR> the .authinfo from the .gpg file) and all connection issues vanished.
>
> RR> Is anyone else here using the epa stuff with more success? Can you share
> RR> your setup? I would love to use the (chmodded) .authinfo and replace
> RR> with a .gpg but it doesn't seem very stable with my set up above.
>
> RR> I know the agent was running fine.
>
> I don't use the GnuPG agent, I just cache the passphrase locally.  It
> works perfectly for me with heavy daily usage.  Can you try that (set
> GPG_AGENT_INFO=none) and see if it works for you?
>
> Ted

Works fine now with your suggestion. But now I am confused as to how to
correctly set this up. Do I still need to to set (nntp-authinfo-file
"~/.authinfo.gpg") for each secondary select method call? And if so,
where doe the epa set up come in? If you could explain how it fits
together that would be great.

e.g I have now

(require 'auth-source)
(require 'epa-file)
(setq epa-file-cache-passphrase-for-symmetric-encryption t) ;;VERY Important
(if (file-exists-p "~/.authinfo.gpg")
    (setq auth-sources '((:source "~/.authinfo.gpg" :host t :protocol t)))
    (setq auth-sources '((:source "~/.authinfo" :host t :protocol t))))
(setq
      mml2015-encrypt-to-self t
      mml2015-cache-passphrase t
      mml2015-passphrase-cache-expiry 60000
      mml2015-verbose t)

(add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
              '(nntp "motzarella"
                       (nntp-address "news.eternal-september.org")
                       (nntp-authinfo-file "~/.authinfo.gpg")
                       (nntp-port-number 119)
                       )
              )

so I am wondering where the auth-sources fits in now?